Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Beginnings for a New Year


Happy New Year! What better day to start a new blog than the very first day of a promising year. I am LeAllyson, and I will share my experiences and ideas about handcrafted jewelry, marketing my craft, beads, and whatever else finds its way to these pages.

It started in 2004. My daughter had come home to visit me, and during her stay she introduced me to making beaded jewelry. We headed for a local bead shop and bought a few things, and then went to Hobby Lobby to load up on beads at better prices. I had no idea what I was doing and bought beads indiscriminately, not paying much attention to the quality.
We got some findings, and went home to play.

At the time, it was just a lark, not a passion, or even a very big interest. It was something to spend time with my daughter. I remember she showed me how to string my beads, place beads on a headpin and make a loop ( my first pendant), and how to squeeze a crimp tube with a plain pair of pliers to crimp the ends of my new creation. My hands felt gigantic and awkward as I tried to accomplish these things. However, I finished our session with a necklace and a bracelet, and I wear both of them to this day.

More importantly, I was hooked! Ever since then I have collected beads and beautiful findings. I have become much more selective about these and have fine crystals, semi-precious stones, lampwork beads, freshwater pearls, Czech glass, sterling silver, pewter and gold fill items. I have spent countless hours practicing wire wrapping my loops, opening and closing jump rings, and making a nice looking and secure crimp. I have poured over jewelry design and beading books and magazines, and viewed hundreds of web sites to learn more and to find inspiration.

By 2006 I had loads of jewelry made and decided to try my hand at selling it. First, I placed my jewelry on eBay. Later that year I started my website, Plum Beadacious. That opened a whole new challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment or share something new. I would love to hear from you.

LeAllyson

See Other Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...