Resolve is a Loaded Word -
I am not much for New Year's resolutions anymore, but I am one to plan and make goals. Anyhow I have "resolved" to revitalize this blog and to become more consistently active on social media sites. What's not to like about that, right?
So I knew right off the top of my head that these two goals are of importance to me and to growing my business. So now what? Ah, that's where the difficulties spew forth and overwhelm me. It comes down to too many choices.
Thinking It Through
I am a start from the very beginning kind of gal and look at everything in detail. Personality tests always categorize me as analytical. Good strength don't you think? Well for every strength there is usually a corresponding weakness. Mine is that I can analyze things to death, and not make a move to do anything.
Let's look at my first goal - revitalize my website. Here is where my brain went on this one.
- My first resolve was to analyze what blogging platform I really wanted to use.
- I have an old blog on Blogger. It's pretty easy and straightforward to use. I don't know how to fancy it up the way I would like, and not sure if I can do that on Blogger.
- This blog is on WordPress.org. Wow, do I ever struggle to create the look I want here. But WOW - what can be done when you do know what you are doing is fantastic.
- I looked at other possible platforms, and did a quick trial run of Squarespace. It is nice, but a whole new learning curve for me.
- I finally decided to stay here on WordPress.org and to work hard to learn more about using it.
2. Once I settled that after many hours looking at excellent published blogs, and at Blogger,Wordpress.org and Squarespace, I decided I had spent too long on the first step, and headed to the second step, to improve the look and quality of this site. So then I tried out multiple different themes, and finally came back to the same one I have been using. It is the Adorable theme from Pretty Darn Cute, and uses the Genesis framework.
3. Next I started trying to develop a new header, so headed over to Canva. I spent many hours there trying out different ideas. Meanwhile, I had looked at a blog called Mom Gets Real and was drawn to the colorful header, design of the site,and the fact that you can know what to do to find information there. I used her header as inspiration to design the one I have on my site right now.
Choices, Choices, Choices
This all took most of my time for over two weeks. Most of the problem for me was making choices from all the possibilities out there. I love so many choices, but I also love looking at every choice available to me. You could spend the rest of your life doing that.
Words that would come out of my mouth during this process:
- I am so confused!
- I could scream!
- I don't know why I want to blog anyhow!
- I could just bang my head on this desk!
At least I just said these things to myself. LOL!
I still need to tackle my second "resolve" to be consistently active on social media sites. I need to do much better at my decision making on this one. I do know I should focus on one or two social media sites and actively participate in them. So which do I choose? Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram?
Oh no, my head hurts again!
Do you have any helpful hints to deal with too many choices? Does that plague you as well? Leave your comments below.
If you liked this article you may also wish to read more on dealing with choices in this post, Constraints, Ignite Your Creativity.